Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The Return on Investment of Good Security

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:12:56 -0500

Tony,
While I understand and respect your point of view I disagree. If you pay for quality security services you will probably avoid suffering the damages of a successful compromise. If you avoid that compromise then you never need to suffer damages and lose money as a result. I suppose thats not really savings, but it does prevent loss.

If on the other hand you do not use a quality service provider then you do run the very high risk of suffering a compromise. So then I'll ask, how much are your assets worth? What is the value of your network, its systems, your emails, your customer information, your source code, etc? Is it worth more than $20,000, is it worth more than $50,000.00? If it is then why would you choose the bunk security service over the real one?

So the question really is, are your assets worth protecting Tony? If you're interested I can prove my point about the differences in quality. Have my team do a followup penetration test and allow us to reproduce the threat that you'll likely face in the real world. We'll probably get in, thank god we're the good guys right? Too bad most of the bad guys are testing you better than most of the security providers though. ;]