Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted or Not Encrypted

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 12 Sep 2008 15:04:57 -0000

That transfer should still be encrypted as the submit action is to an SSL target. The SSL will be negotiated before the
information is transferred.

I'd suggest verifying anything anyone says (including me!) by using Wireshark as you submit the form. It should be
inside the SSL/TLS packets, and not sent before.

<- snip ->
I've run into this issue a few times now and would like to know what y'all think. Here is the situation: A website not
using SSL has a login page. As soon as credentials are entered on this page they are redirected to a site using SSL.
Here is a specific example of the code on one such site:

<form name="loginpersonal" method="POST" action="https://secure.sitename.com/engine/login/login.asp"; onSubmit="return
checkLoginForm(this);">

<input type=hidden name=IsPostback value=1>

Now, from what I understand, the login credentials would still be unencrypted while traveling to the secure site. So
that would negate the effect of having it redirect to a secure site in the first place. Right? I keep brining up this
fact but all I get back is that it's being redirected so it's secure. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here so I'd
appreciate some feedback. Am I wrong? If I am I can handle that, I'd just like to know. Thanks!