Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Phishing with digital watermarking

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 01:06:23 +0200

On 2008-09-30 Razi Shaban wrote:
Which, of course, is totally unreliable (and thus utterly pointless
as a security measure), because you make way too much assumptions
(client has JavaScript enabled, phisher doesn't check the used
website for phone- home code, phisher uses the original website in
the first place, ...).

So because it is not 100% reliable, we shouldn't use it?

I'd say it's closer to 100% unreliable than to 100% reliable. But even
if it isn't, how do you calculate the chances? You just have too many
variables.

You noticed the word "security" in this mailinglist's name? What makes
you think a measure of questionable reliability could possibly count as
a security measure?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."