Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN Risk Assessment

From: Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:34:26 -0500

blagoon () gmail com wrote:
Hi all,

I was tasked to do a risk assessment on our SSL VPN deployment. And I
came up with the following: - Authentication: Single factor is too
weak, we'll be to use a hard token for a 2nd factor. - End Point
Security: we need to verify the integrity of the connecting host
(company asset, antivirus, patches), install cache cleaner and force
inactive session timeouts. - Access control: limit full vpn access,
implement resource profiles for different group of users, or only RDP
to users' desktop in the office.

But apparently it is not enough for my manager, and asked to expand
this report. Any suggestions on areas I might have missed?

Be sure to perform mutual authentication - ie verify the identity of the
server to the client as well as client to the server. This will thwart network-based MITM attacks such as DNS poisoning which cannot be stopped by end-point security. These types of attacks are fairly simple because of the prevalence of Wifi and of poorly configured DNS servers. Relying on users to validate server certificates has proven to be ineffective

I have written a how-to on this:
http://www.wikidsystems.com/documentation/howtos/how-to-secure-an-ssl-vpn-with-one-time-passcodes-and-mutual-authentication

for SSL-Explorer. However, I would guess that there are many ways to skin this cat...

hth,

nick

--
Nick Owen