Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: End Point Security - relying on one vendor's product a weakness in itself?

From: "Malcolm Heath" <malcolmpdx () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:13:39 -0800

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM, secrookie () gmail com <secrookie () gmail com> wrote:
Our company is looking into using one vendor's product to manage our
 workstations end-point security which consists of:

 Antivirus/Spyware
 Managed Firewall
 IPS
 Application Control
 Buffer Overflow
 Device Control (USB, PDA, Phones etc..)

There's been some good discussion of this, but I thought I'd bring up
one other point.  Most of the vendors offering all in one solutions
have put together these products from a variety of third party
products themselves, from companies they have bought or licensed from.
 Integration is rarely well done.  Sure, they might have a unified
console of some sort or another, but internally, they're very much
separate programs and can conflict with each other.

One of the biggest issues with endpoint security I see is how to do
all these things you mention in a way that doesn't make the endpoint
unusable for actually doing work on. due to resource contention
issues.

Malcolm