Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing data from Database Admin

From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:17:52 -0700

How about just encrypting the fields in the database? This way the
application and application developers will have access to usable
(i.e. decrypted) data whereas the Database Administrators will only
see encrypted data but will still be able to perform their job
(backup, restore etc).

I was looking into MS SQL's built-in encryption to do something
similar to what you are trying to do. I haven't tried it yet, so I
can't give you the specifics. But I know it works, and you can control
access using AD groups.

saqib
http://doctrina.wordpress.com/