Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Pen tester

From: "Kevin Ortloff" <Kevin.Ortloff () j2global com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:23:23 -0700

Nessus is great for a mixed environment. Good reporting, understandable
and has references to other links for more info.

GFI LanGaurd is great for Windows environments and can do much more than
a scan, it can push updates, show installed apps, and a few other useful
things.

Metasploit is hard to understand, but great for deeper analysis and
actually attacking a machine ( my favorite )

You can also use WebScarBar for webservers. I just downloaded/installed
it but have not figured it out yet.... Seems a little advanced too, but
I'm going to work on it next month sometime....It's like a packet
capture ( before send ) so you can modify the gets,posts,etc before
sending to the server. This would be more for attempting to XXS or SQL
inj. Cool idea though. I can't wait to play.

Hope this helps :)