Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: Crash Monitor -- rootkit discussion

From: Adam Pal <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:22:39 +0200

Hi

Well, concerning the crash-issue:
As mentioned in the list, check your logs (run compmgmt.msc and go to
the eventlog), there you will find 100% some hints on what caused the
crash. Usualy it can be some driver issue and/or registry fscked up.

as about the rootkit-issue:
If, and only if you are sure to be infected
(http://www.windowsreference.com/security/list-of-free-anti-rootkitrootkit-detection-software-for-windows/)
A clean reinstall is the only possibility to get rid of it, if
a forensic investigation is needed better let someone quallifyed to do
it.
Actualy, you can be pretty sure for rootkits Philippe, but its messy
since you need some tools like helix offers and compare valid and
actual output of the commands.
If i`d write a windows rootkit, i would try to compromise services
which can reveal its presence such as msinfo.msc , taskmanager,
tasklist, clean the eventlog, etc...

--
Best regards,
 Adam Pal