Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Crash Monitor

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:22:20 -0400

To add to the previous post.

If you are going to look for rootkits I would suggest formatting and
re-installing. If you suspect you have a root-kit on your PC theres no need
to identify it or KNOW you have one. Just do a full format & reinstall.

If you have a rootkit,theres no complete way to remove it. I mean to know
100% that everything critical is removed. The time you are going to spend
investigating this, cleaning it and worrying about the after effects would be
better spent reinstalling.

For all those who are going to hit me with "you should know if there's a
rootkit", this is a stand alone PC, not corporate and the expertise and time
may be lacking. Also the lvl of sensitivity of the PC is probably very low.

Format and move on

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca