Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: snort updates and changes to snort.conf

From: infolookup () gmail com
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:19:27 +0000

------Original Message------
From: Joe Beasley
Sender: listbounce () securityfocus com
To: newsecurityguy
Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
Sent: Jul 1, 2008 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: snort  updates and changes to snort.conf

You don't have to put your snort.conf file in the same directory your
*.rules files are in.  I keep my snort.conf
in /usr/local/snort-version/etc, and keep all the rules
in /usr/local/snort-version/rules.

All rule updates will have a new snort.conf (which is overwritten each
time) in the rules directory, but I start snort with the conf file in
the etc directory.