Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: snort updates and changes to snort.conf

From: newsecurityguy <JBASKEW () uncg edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe I am not understanding the syntax correctly. I stopped snort, copied my
current snort.conf file into the /usr/local/snort/etc directory I created.
There I edited the snort.conf file to suppress the events and then attempted
to restart snort using the command

/usr/sbin/snort -d -D -Q -u snort -g snort -c
/usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -l /var/log/snort -o -m 022

Snort outputs Initializing Inline mode and then quits with no indication of
errors. Running the original command used to start snort
/usr/sbin/snort -d -D -Q -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l
/var/log/snort -o -m 022
initializes snort and it outputs loaded rules, counts, etc. What am I
missing here? I checked the snort.conf file again to make sure the absolute
path was used to the rules folder but am not sure what else to look for.

Thanks,
Blake