Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:04:12 +1000

How about asking the provider of the free access to look at setting up WPA?
<puts on tinfoil hat>
Even then, how do you know you can trust the people running it? What if
they've set it up so that they can sniff the traffic as it becomes 'wired'?

I think it might be difficult to prevent any sniffing of your traffic to the
wireless router- unless you setup a vpn to your office perhaps.

I mean, from a security standpoint I'd assume that the router is compromised
from day one and sending anything in the clear is not a good idea.

Having a firewall between you and the network would be a good idea-not sure
if kaspersky has this built in or not. I'd err on the side of caution and be
ultra paranoid in a setup like that. Start with disallow anything
incoming/outgoing and then add outgoing ports etc as you need them. eg 80.
That's a start for preventing people snooping on your system/network but
won't solve the sniffing issue.

As a demo of what can be sniffed, why not setup kismet or similar and just
see what you can find yourself-then you'll get an idea of what can be
sniffed from your traffic.