Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security

From: steve menard <nospam () dranem org>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:44:35 -0400

Do you have a machine outside you could setup a ssh tunnel to?

NO? then anyone watching the wireless stream WILL see ALL Traffic
;-(

I went to a mall with a restaurant serving non encrypted wireless
using a ethernet snoop I saw every non encrypted traffic everyone was using in almost clear text ;
well clear protocol ; totally easy to trace and decode    ;-P

except for their encrypted sessions ; I saw the traffic but they were encrypted
I would have needed to do extra to get them ;-)

Steve

Yousef Syed wrote:
I need some advice.
I'm currently staying in an apartment complex that provides free
wireless Internet access.
The access has zero crypto - not even WEP.

What can I do on my own Laptops (Mac OS X and Windows XP Pro) to make
my browsing/internet usage more secure? I also want to ensure that no
one else on the network is entering my systems.

The Windows Laptop already has Kaspersky Internet Security and various
spyware/adware checkers etc

Thanks,
ys