Security Basics mailing list archives

secure transfers and authentication

From: "mgk.mailing" <mgk.mailing () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:25:02 +0100

Hi List

I was wondering if anyone had run across anything that would help with my current project. I am looking to automate transfers over an insecure network where both the client and server are authenticated to each other. My current line of thinking is using ssl signed certificates from our Certificate authority to do the authentication and then https to transfer the data. Putting aside that http may not be the best transfer mechanism for data can anyone make any suggestions or point out any potential pitfalls that maybe there? It is vital that the transfer is protected and that the client and server is authenticated.
Thanks

mgk