Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure transfers and authentication

From: Franz Reinhardt <franz.reinhardt () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:25:51 +0200

Is OpenVPN an option for you? OpenVPN is available for Linux and Windows. It
is (very) easy to configure.

Franz

On Tuesday 01 April 2008 23:57:04 Francisco Neira Basso wrote:
mgk.mailing wrote:
Hi List

I was wondering if anyone had run across anything that would help with
my current project.   I am looking to automate transfers over an
insecure network where both the client and server are authenticated to
each other.  My current line of thinking is using ssl signed
certificates from our Certificate authority to do the authentication and
then https to transfer the data.  Putting aside that http may not be the
best transfer mechanism for data can anyone make any suggestions or
point out any potential pitfalls that maybe there?  It is vital that the
transfer is protected and that the client and server is authenticated.
Thanks

mgk

Hello,

What about scp?