Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Old anti-virus program version with latest virus definition file

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:32:15 -0000

I have Old anti-virus program version, but my virus
definition file is the latest one.

Which program? Is there any particular reason why you can't check this with
the software publisher?

I get the definitions updated daily. Now I wanted to know am
I still at risk with the above scenario.

Well, even if the defs file is working OK, there's always malware that it
might not catch.

As I understand the latest virus definition file would surely
protect me with the current risks. Would this be sufficient
with an older version of the anti-virus program running on my system?

That depends pretty much on the program. There have been issues where defs
haven't worked properly with an obsolete engine version. The application
-should- of course notice such a mismatch, but I am aware of occasions in
the past when this didn't happen.

--
David Harley CISSP, Small Blue-Green World
AVIEN Administrator - http://www.avien.org