Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Old anti-virus program version with latest virus definition file

From: "Ackley, Alex" <aackley () epmgpc com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:24:10 -0400

What you get with a newer AV program is better heuristics and scanning
engine as well as added features.  An older AV program and a current one
with the same definitions should find malware that is in the list but
the older program will have a harder time finding variants, new files
and file types.

Also, the older program may have exploits or be running as or in areas
that newer malware can modify, avoid or circumvent.

So, an older AV program is better than no AV program, it's not as good
as a newer version.

Alex Ackley, CISSP
Security Admin
EPMG, PC