Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Multi-Factor Authentication

From: Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 16:42:05 -0400

avasquez80 () gmail com wrote:
I'm working on a project that involves giving our employees OWA and
intranet access through a Juniper SSL VPN from the web. Currently a
hand full of employees are using RSA keys to authenticate. While we
can not go out and buy over 3000+ RSA keys for every employee I'm
looking for an alternate sign on solution. My main goals are
preventing someone from the outside brute forcing their way in. I
have seen one solution that looked promising called vidoop. They
offer a SSO which has pictured images as added security. I would be
curious to what others are using for OWA and other internal access
solutions.

Is this motivated by an audit?  If so, I would talk to your auditor
about solutions and see if they pass muster. In general, I think most
auditors would have problems with authentication systems that are not
based on cryptographic principles.

We have released an open source version of our two-factor solution:
http://www.wikidsystems.net/.  There are plugins for PHP, java,
ASP/COM/PHP, Ruby & Python.  You could customize the login for Juniper
with one of those.  The software-based token client is multi-lingual.

If you want radius, wireless token clients & support, use the commercial
version. http://www.wikidsystems.com. You will find pricing on the site.
At 3k users, it would be about 70% less than hardware tokens.

nick

--
Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.