Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: GSEC Study Materials

From: ddistler () afferentsecurity com
Date: 31 May 2007 14:42:01 -0000

As some one who holds several SANS certs I will tell you my experience with there different deleveiry methods.

I feel you will only pass the test if you have the official course ware. I took one self-study and two in person. I
would recommend either option.

If money is an issue then take the self-study course, you get all of the course ware and MP3's (On a funny side note,
if you buy a new car make sure the thing plays MP3's, my didn't!). The only downside to the MP3's is they edited out
the questions and answers, which may have helped or not.

If you have the budget go to a conference and network. I don't mean try to find another job, but its a great chance to
meet people in the field and talk. Also you get to know the instructor some and they will all tell you to contact them
if you have a question. I took my firewall instructor up on that offer just a couple of weeks ago, even though I took
the class in early 06 (I think) I emailed the instructor about a question I had and it was answered.

HTH,
Dennis