Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Awareness - Best Ways

From: "Chris Barber" <cmbarber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:25:53 -0700

I used to work on a military contract in the US.  Everyone on any post
has to take 2 online courses and a classroom course within 6 months of
joining (employment, contract, internship, etc.)

The online portion was not too difficult at all, but consisted of
reading a few pages and taking a quiz on teh information.  Once you
pass all of the quizes you get a certificate.  The certificate goes to
the Security Liason of your command and they report up to the Post
Security officer.  The Certificates stay on file in the pesonnel
office of each command.

I would work with personnel and (as mentioned in other posts) see how
they mass training.  One way to keep everyone interested in the
awareness program is to work up a monthly tech-note broadcast e-mail
to all e-mail users and ask that they share with those that do not
have e-mail (if any).  Include in the note tips for windows or office
applications, and a security tip or two, keep it light and brief.
once in a while (with personnel's permission) drop a quiz on the desk
(mailbox, etc.) of 40 to 50 people and have them complete the quiz and
return to Personnel. the quiz should go in the persons employee file
once they have been scored.  The quiz should be no more than 10
questions  multiple-choice and true-false easy to take and to score.

chris.