Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "Simmons, James" <jsimmons () eds com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:10:01 -0500

David,
A point is that it can be cheap to run these certifications. It is
currently being done, with better results, and with a smaller pool of
customers. Which is why I do have an inherent distrust of certification
companies. Now I cannot say about the degree of work that goes into
creating any IT certs. But I do know that it should be pretty
self-sustaining after the initial investment of research.

I am not saying that they do not serve a purpose, nor that they are not
needed. If you are trying to make a standardized baseline of skill, then
it should be accessible to everyone. It is the difference between a $400
cert and a $50 cert. If everyone can actually have the chance to obtain
the certification without any adverse financial hardships, then you will
have a cert that will be closer to actually representing a baseline.
Right now there are too many people out there that can easily pass these
tests, but do not take them for one reason or another. (Usually price is
a big motivation.)

Take ISC2 for example (because I am really trying not to pick on them,
but they are the best known). Why are their tests $400?

-To develop the tests? Their model is in place to minimize the cost of
developing tests. Someone develops a question, it gets reviewed and then
submitted to a current test to determine the percentages of people that
are confused by the question, or what not.

-To supply training for the certs? This is very counter productive to a
certification. Are you going to teach the people, what they need to
know, to pass a test to prove that they do indeed have experience and
training in this skill (As is the case in SANS certs and boot camps)?  I
can understand offering a review class or something of the sort, just to
go over broadly what is covered and who the test is laid out. That is
test prep work and that is more understandable then an actual class
covering what they are already suppose to know. On a side note, I am not
aware of ISC2 actually hosting training classes other then the review
classes I would love to find out if anyone actually paid for one of
these review tests, and what was the mentality of the tests?

-And as for designing the test, that should have already been done, and
updated as need be. That should have been an original cost at the
beginning.

-And finally man hours for administrating the tests. I can understand
this cost, but then after taking the test, what is the purpose of the
annual maintance fee?

Now SANS is all messed up. I can understand the use of certifications,
and I think they are more credible them most since they started as a
repository for various Security related information. But then they also
run these boot camps that teach you what they are trying to prove that
you have a skill set in. That is just backwards. No other company I have
found, blatantly offers a crash course in their certifications. That
just reeks of a money making scam.

Regards,

Simmons