Security Basics mailing list archives

MS Virtual Server- SW Development Scenario

From: WALI <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:28:38 +0400

A related question to the ongoing thread of VMware.

I have heard a lot about deploying Virtual Server for Software development and test environment rather than keeping 10 machines stacked under the developers tables.

But there is a small glitch.

Each of our developers has / need access to office LAN for checking out emails/browsing internet etc. Now, Compliance dictates that development/test environments should be isolated with developers having little/no access to production except that they can have read/execute permissions on the software that they developed.

Virtual Sever 2005R2 allows me with two options:
1. Virtual machines in their own internal network, accessible only through Remote Control after I enter into the host machines. 2. Virtual machines connected to the outside network (physical NIC of the host machine) and available via Remote desktop from anywhere in the LAN.

I don't want to assign two desktops to each developer. One for accessing his Development machines on Virtual Server, and the other to be able to access office emails/ browse internet etc.

What is the right way? Can I multihome developers desktop?