Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS Virtual Server- SW Development Scenario

From: "Rob McShinsky" <Rob () McShinsky com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:54:32 -0400

Yes I think you should multi-home the host system in this case.  One NIC
will be used for the office LAN and the other will be used to access the
outside network.   With Virtual server installed on the developers desktop
you will need to make sure that the NIC Properties are set properly to
provide the correct host isolation of the 2 networks.  One should have
Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Print Sharing, and TCP/IP.  The
other should only have the Virtual Machine Network Service.  The development
environment  could be either housed as a virtual guest through the external
NIC and the internal NIC could be used for normal day to day office
activities or vice versa.

You could also consider the price difference between installing and
maintaining all the different development environments on individual PCs
with the cost of second NICs, memory and potentially CPU upgrades, versus
installing a server with a virtual server solution on it where you could
have all these environments at a location that is secured in a datacenter
and more easily maintained and backed up.  They will continue to used their
current PC's for basic office tasks and remotely connect to their virtual
guest servers through RDP, VNC, PCAnywhere, or VMRC(Microsoft).  It will
probably cost more, but would be less of a headache.

Rob McShinsky
http://virtuallyaware.spaces.live.com