Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cleared my CEH certification

From: "Greg Tracy" <greg () sixx com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:57:38 -0500

Well, no, it does not directly teach you 'hacking' and it is not Black
Hat. It may show you the tools of intrusion and teach the concepts and
common methods of circumventing security, but remember that this is
not necessarily considered hacking. Hacking is a mindset that concerns
a great interest in learning and a term that applies to someone who
finds inventive or innovative ways to solve a problem that are
generally considered to be unconventional. True hackers bristle at the
use of the word as a purely derogatory term. Sure, it's semantics, but
spend some time discussing with someone who spends hours and hours
every night reading and studying about the finer points of the Linux
kernel and setting up networks in their home to test out theories
concerning security holes in particular software packages and you will
see the difference between them and someone who runs Metasploit or
Nessus to look for vulnerabilities.

/G