Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Flash Memory Wiping

From: "Lou Losee" <llosee () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:16:31 -0600

For some good discussions on the implications of writing to flash and
how the wear-leveling algorithms incorporated by them get in the way
of erasure and overwriting, I would recommend the following links:

http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?t=1702
http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?t=1568&sid=60ea6000a914dced82196c64783feacc

Lou Losee
atsec information security corp.

On 1/23/07, Dragos Ruiu <dr () eusecwest com> wrote:
On Monday 22 January 2007 12:55, C Anctil wrote:
> I would encrypt the the files before deleting them. If they ever get
> recovered, they would at least be encrypted. I would use something
> like truecrypt.

This also would not work so well on flash, as you would likely wind up
with encrypted and unecrypted versions sitting on the flash simultaneously.
Overwriting works oddly with flash...

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
London, U.K.    Mar 1-2 - 2007    http://eusecwest.com

--
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity