Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Flash Memory Wiping

From: "Laundrup, Jens" <Jens.Laundrup () METROKC GOV>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:26:14 -0800

A Hammer!

Short of that, attempting to wipe it clean is a hit and miss
proposition.  I have seen data recovered with 5+ overwrites and I have
read (sorry, I can't recall the source) that Carnegie Mellon University
has succeeded in reading those wiped 12 times using the commercial
wiping software.

Consider the value of the data, the cost of the tool and the effort you
will have to expend (in $$).  Sometimes it is just cheaper to destroy
the media.

Jens