Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Pride - A Humorous Vulnerability

From: "Snoopy Brown" <freefalled () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:31:11 -0500

Hello =)

I think it is your "trust-provoking" English accent!

The biggest challenge is the human condition where people are always "depending on the kindness of strangers". (Taken from
"A Streetcar named
Desire")
True. Too true.

We are in an industry where mistrust, despair, and skepticism are
more beneficial >than sheer kindness and helpfulness.  The term
"social engineering" is false. It
should be called "social exploitation"
as the attacker is merely taking advantage basic human nature.

IMO, social exploitation (/engineering) can take on various forms...
many of them, going against a person's 'nature'.
Social engineering (/explitation) is one of my favorite security
facets... working with people.
I mean, have you ever told someone in IRC to "press Alt+F4 to do that"
then laughed out loud as a "dumbNuts has logged out" message appears?
Or the female lawyer's secretary, that had (probably still has) all
sorts of her passwords, neatly printed out and attached to the inside
of a cabinet's door...
Or her boss, that would save everything into a fDrive (flashDrive) for
'security reasons', then leave the little thing inside his 'locked
drawer'... a drawer made out glass.
People are fun.

So, what was his password?
herb420chronic4ever
or something along those lines...

-Paul Moore
 Security & Business Continuity
 FedEx Express Corporation

FedEx, eh?
I get happy everytime I see the FedEx truck... as it probably means
stuff from NewEgg is arriving. Yum!
=))

Have a great day people !!