Security Basics mailing list archives

Highlighting weak password dangers

From: WALI <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:15:46 +0400

I want to highlight the danger of using weak passwords on servers and users admin desktops. I have tested TSgrinder with a basic dictionary Brute Force to access Remote Desktop exploit on both servers and desktops. The problem here is that when connected to domain, the Account Lockout feature disables the account quite soon. I can only show the exploit on machines not connected to the domain where Domain Security policy doesn't flow down.

What are other interesting and intriguing ways to present this problem? I also need a system to do Passwords Audit on my domain and make then 'secure password' policy compliance.