Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: It's a Presidential Mandate, Feds use it. It is Free. How come you are not using FDE?

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:16:55 -0800

On 1/18/07, stan ograv <s3cur1tyl1st () yahoo com> wrote:
I started to do some research on truecrypt and  CompuSec
and found this article
http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/message/20061226.012637.ed678bb9.en.html
has anyone had any issues with data corruption with full disk encryption?
Which encryption method  that  CompuSec  uses would be better one that will
keep  your data encrypted prior to boot or one that will encrypt data on-the
fly?

I haven't had any corruption issues with FDE, and I have been using
them for a while. One possible scenario, is that your HDD is
physically damaged. With a non-encrypted HDD, the data recovery people
(like https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/ ) can take the platters out
and recover data. However with FDE that won't be possible.

The two modes that you mentioned are just for "one-time" FDE
initialization. I would choose the prior-to-boot method as it is safer
and faster. The key thing is that you have to go through that process
only once during the install.

saqib
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net