Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Procedural Issues

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:23:56 -0800 (PST)

Security is all about mitigating risk. You're right, there are certainly risks associated with someone from development
accessing production servers, however that is less risk than having all developers with access to production
environments. Some risks that might come up would be unauthorized changes to production, accidental deletion of files,
access to confidential information.
In our company, it is our QA manager along with the VP Development that have to sign off on the code before it moves
from development to production. We also have an integration group who are the people that actually have acess to the
production servers, so the QA manager doesn't actually deploy the changes to production. Our company obviously has a
bigger infrastructure and because of business reasons we do it this way. However you may find that the risks are so
small relative to the additional staff needed that it makes more sense to put the trust in the development team lead to
work with the production servers.
It's not a simple yes/no decision, it really comes down to what works best in your environment while incurring the
least amount of risk.

Kenton