Security Basics mailing list archives

Monitoring System_DB Admin activities

From: WALI <hkhasgiwale () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:27:51 +0400

On an in-house built,accounting application ( we will call it Tallytree), using Oracle 9i as backend DBase, residing over a Windows 2003 server with an application interface front end, built using VB.Net.

In this setup, there is an Application Admin ( who writes and manages source code for 'Tallytree' working side by side as the primary Application Admin getting instructions/requests from the Data Owners to assign Access Rights and Controls over various levels of Application modules.

Then there is a database admin common for many other databases using the same physical server. And finally, there is a common System Admin undertaking patch management and other high level management duties on the Windows 2003 server itself.

The duties are albeit segregated but I need (as an internal security function) to monitor these three roles and their activities and generate audit reports regularly so as to show to external auditors for year end review.

How should I go about doing this?
Is there an automated tool (possibly open source) that can help me here?