Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Suspicious network activity advice

From: "Jim Parkhurst" <JPARKHUR () dot state tx us>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:11:36 -0600

For example: "ShareEnum" from SysInternals (now part of Microsoft)?
see: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/ShareEnum.mspx

From the above: "When you run ShareEnum it uses NetBIOS enumeration to scan all the computers within the domains
accessible to it, showing file and print shares and their security settings. Because only a domain adminstrator has
the ability to view all network resources, ShareEnum is most effective when you run it from a domain adminstrator
account."

I ran this and received emails from users across our statewide LAN asking why I had logged in (connected) to their
workstation.

-Jim

"tima soni" <tima.soni () gmail com> 12/28/2006 13:01 >>>
Hi Stephane,

A file search in the network can definitely produce similar results..
Did you use any tool to search on the network?

Regards

Tima