Security Basics mailing list archives

Where is the head and tail?

From: "Harshal Mehta" <mehtaharshal () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:13:39 +0530

Hi Wali,

 How should I start? Well, I can start to outline Change Management
procedures that would be followed. Segregation of duties between various
levels of developers, quality assurance, app admin etc. That's generic.

I suggest you should understand the basic working of the application.
Its not require to have a full understanding of the accounting or
finance.You should just have a fair knowledge of the flow of the
information.
Then you can start with the listing of the security procedures like

Change Management -  How changes are made, who all are authorized to
make the changes, who reviews the changes, is there a fall back
procedure for the changes made, whether records are maintained for the
changes made and so on.
Backup Management -  How regularly backup is taken , who is
responsible for backup, type of backup, where is backup is stored.
Privilege Management - What privilege levels are defined, are they
required for the daily operations, privilege access matrix.

Then what? I am a novice when it comes to accounting and finance. Should I
define workflows within dept. of accounting? Should I sit with accountants
and other users and get deep into various things they do and then look
deeply inside each module of this finance application in order to study
General Ledgers, Journal Vuchers, Accounts recievables/payables etc. That
would take months!!

Then you can start with the real application audit like checking in for:

Administrative privileges
Logging
Database vulnerabilities
A detailed understanding of the subject is not required, but should
have knowledge of the critical information and the threats to it. Then
you can design a checklist which will help you in auditing the
application.

I think this would help.......

Harshal Mehta

Information Security Analyst