Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL certificate pass phase in apache

From: Lars <sunberg () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:24:48 +0100

Hi

As afshin_pir () yahoo com wrote (but it didnt come clearly out), you can
use the SSLPassPhraseDialog option. Take a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslpassphrasedialog
for more info about it.
Example of usage is "SSLPassPhraseDialog
exec:/usr/local/apache/sbin/pp-filter" and here is a quote from the
link I gave you:
<quote>
Mod_ssl just defines the interface: an executable program which
provides the Pass Phrase on stdout. Nothing more or less! So, if
you're really paranoid about security, here is your interface.
Anything else has to be left as an exercise to the administrator,
because local security requirements are so different.
</quote>

Soo, if you like, you can have the executable get the password from
somewhere.. `cat /root/filewithpasswd` or you can make it as complex
as you want, example make it needing an smartcard. Its all up to you.
:)

--
 Lars

On 2/23/07, Björn Bergstrand <bjorn () favoptic com> wrote:
I dont know about normaly, but if you have a password protected private key
you need to have somebody around to punch the passphrase in when the webserver restarts

> Hi all
> I know that I can remove password of my private key using this command:
> openssl rsa -in foo_key.pem -out foo_keyclear.pem
>
> But,I don't like this,because I should save private key without any protection on server,and if sombody access this file,he can
easily generate a dummy "valid certificate" from same Issuer.