Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Laptop security

From: "Andre Gorvel" <andre.gorvel () googlemail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:30:55 +0000

I have to agree with Adams comment,

All security has to be tuned to the asset being secured, and in the
majority of circumstances encryption of the asset is more than
sufficient to meet regulatory and business requirements.

I think we, as a community, concentrate on the system assets that we
protect - not the information, and that this balance needs adjusting.
This not to say that patching and physical security is unimportant,
rather that a balance needs to be struck that reflects the values of
these components.

And lastly draconian security tends to illicit a sneakier user -if we
close systems down too much and impair the business user, then they
will find a way to avoid that control, and believe it to be in their
and the businesses best interest to do so..

Lets agree to make security easy for our users, and reap the benefits
of the increased acceptance that this will undoubtedly bring.

Andre