Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where to get spam?

From: secbasics () dusty ece cmu edu
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:24:44 -0500

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:43:52PM -0700, Richard Cox wrote:
Well,

I wouldn't mind 'donating' a tar or my spam mbox.  There are a few thousande messages in there right now.  They've
already been run thru spamassassin though, so they may not be what you're looking for.

Yes, generally what I am looking for is stuff which is already known to be spam through whatever technique (as long as
you know you don't get false positives
very often ;)).

Maybe some other list go-ers would donate too?  :)

Actually I've been getting lots of generous offers from people off list. Anyone else who would like to send me some
spam I have set up a subversion repository
where I can receive large files, so email me off list and I can give you the password. Also, at the end of the semester
I will go back around to "donors" and
check if you are OK with me posting your spam on a public site to help out others (it would be at the end of the
semester because I will need to make a script
to change people's addresses so they don't get more spam ;) but I don't have time to do that now). If you know you do
or don't want me to share the spam at the
end of the semester you can let me know if your initial mailing too.

Thanks to everyone who's been giving me spam, and "boos" to all the large spam collectors that don't even make spam
public in obfuscated form for other people
to work on :(

Aaron

-Rick