Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where to get spam?

From: secbasics () dusty ece cmu edu
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:36:47 -0500

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 11:27:07AM -0500, Mark Teicher wrote:
This is a very interesting question.  Why do you need spam from 2006/2007

Because that's the only time period for which I have the other portscan and attack traffic which I intend to correlate
against.

, SPAM TTL is <24
I don't know what you mean there.

, most SPAM engines will not detect SPAM > 30 days old.  I have researched this problem for over a long period of time,
most anti-spam products out there will have issues detecting any type of spam over 2 weeks old, since keeping
signature/heuristic bases that huge will slow down the performance of the product, which is an interesting question in
of itself.  Why..

I'm basically not looking to classify spam myself, I am looking for "known spam" (where I hope other people's filters
are accurate, but it shouldn't make too
much of a difference if they're not since the misclassifed mail will look like a dedicated spammer rather than a bot,
and will be excluded anyway)

You are better off working with a university or local school that retains their mail for some period of time

Yeah, therin lies the problem...CMU just nukes anything that gets classified as spam at the highest level, and I can't
get access to stuff anyway because
they're worried about sending me some false positive which is actually a real person's real mail.

Thanks

Aaron

Mark