Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Resource Mapping Reporting

From: "Joseph McCray" <joe () learnsecurityonline com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:01:06 -0400 (EDT)

We'll see if this helps you. I'm not much for tools that you pay for so
these will all be open-source options.

When I was an intrusion analyst I had to do a lot of scanning really large
networks. You know, "Hey Joe can you scan these 10 class Bs for port 4444,
and oh yeah scan these 2 class As for port 56789". Man I'm glad those days
are over. I like a tool called multimap.pl. It's a nice little wrapper for
nmap/amap.

Tool Description:
multimap is a multithreaded wrapper for nmap designed to run a number of
concurrent nmap scans and speed up the scan of large networks. Optionally
it will launch amap on the open ports and generate an HTML file of the
results. Tested with nmap 3.27, 3.30 and amap 4.2.

Tool Location:
http://packetstormsecurity.org/UNIX/audit/multimap.pl

Since you sound like you are scanning a LAN and you want info about shares
and stuff like that you may want to consider Nessus with MySQL
integration. I did this for a customer recently. There are a lot of
different ways you can do it so here are a few links that you may find
useful.

Options like:
NessQuik
Nessus-php
ossim
autoscan

Here are some websites you might want to take a look at:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7933/sam0305e/0305e.htm <- General Info
http://enterprise.bidmc.harvard.edu/pub/nessus-php/
http://www.atriskonline.com/archives/00000048.shtml
http://sourceforge.net/projects/os-sim
http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoscan <-- Probably the one you should try
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inprotect
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gherkin
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vscweb

Hope this helps...

--
Joe McCray
Toll Free: 1-866-892-2132

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a utility that will map out a
network. Give detailed information about IP, hostname, shares,
permissions,
and other useful info.

I know there are many out there and I’ve used a couple but none that were
great. It will run on a large domain and I don’t want something that will
crash the network either.

Also if it could look for missing updates that would be cool too.

(I know how to Google I’m just curious what others have had success using
and recommend)

Thank you,

Jeff Dixon

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec
management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed
degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus