Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MITM attack on 3TDES

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:15:56 -0700

shahin,
can you please elaborate on what you mean by that.

thanks

On 9/12/06, Shahin Ansari <zohal52 () yahoo com> wrote:
I believe shorter effective key lenght is related to fact that all attacks
are a combination of known text in addition to the effort to crack the key.
Therefore the effective key lenght is shorter than the size of key space.

Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru> wrote:  On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Saqib Ali
wrote:

> Can anyone explain how the MITM works on 3TDES (three distinct keys)?
> I am typically interested in finding out why 3TDES has effective
> key-length of 112-bit

Get a (plain text, cipher text) pair (m,c) encrypted with some unknown
key (k1,k2,k3):

s = E(k1,m)
t = E(k2,s)
c = E(k3,t)

For all possible (k1,k2) pairs (2^112 possibilities) calculate

t' = E(k2,E(k1,m))

For all possible k3 (2^56 possibilities) calculate

t'' = D(k3,c)

Sort the sets of t' and t'' and find (k1,k2) and k3 such that t'=t''

Check each such (k1,k2,k3) with several additional (plain text, cipher
text) pairs to find the right key.

--
Regards,
ASK

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low  PC-to-Phone call
rates.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net