Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VLANs confusing

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:02:59 -0600

On 11/12/06, Raj Shaz <rajshas () gmail com> wrote:

All i understand of VLANs is encryption of packets at source and
decryption at destination.

VLANs do NOT do encryption.

Which protocol does these machines should used then?

There are two protocols for VLANs, one is proprietary to Cisco.

When two cisco devices are configured for VLANs , we basically make
these devices to transfer key (for en/decryption) ,does these keys has
any relevance with other VLANs?. Is there exists a possibility of key
overlapping on gigantic network ( akin internet ).

There isn't a key involved as there isn't any encryption involved.
Might you be confusing VLANs for VPNs?