Security Basics mailing list archives

VLANs confusing

From: "Raj Shaz" <rajshas () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:49:09 +0530

Hi group

Few basic stuffs bothering me, thus needed clarification.

All i understand of VLANs is encryption of packets at source and
decryption at destination. Now If at both ends i have cisco
devices,which protocols/ algorithms are used by them?. I have notices
configuration of DAX switches on cisco network the VLANS doesnot work.
Which protocol does these machines should used then?

When two cisco devices are configured for VLANs , we basically make
these devices to transfer key (for en/decryption) ,does these keys has
any relevance with other VLANs?. Is there exists a possibility of key
overlapping on gigantic network ( akin internet ).

Which layer VLANS works, layer 3 right?. Then what do u mean when u
say VLAN enabled layer 2 switches?

Sorry, seems rudimentary stuff. But hope my brain is highlighted with
some wisdom.Some ref to good notes online?

-Raj