Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: [unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

From: securityfocus () slickwillies net
Date: 28 Apr 2006 18:23:22 -0000

I have used similar type drives.  Mainly those equipped with an e-nova encryption chip.  These drives run flawlessly
for me.  They encrypt all incoming data and decrypt outgoing data on the fly.  Unlike the drive mentioned here, e-nova
equipped drives only use a token key which contains the plaintext encryption key (40, 64, 128, or 192-bit).  Without
this key, the drive is completely useless unless you feel like trying to break a 40/64/128/192-bit key which is
impossible since you'd have to restart the drives (power cycle) for every guess you make.  You lose the key, you lose
the data -- simple as that.  The keys can be copied quite easily though -- so you have to physically secure they key.
I am hesitant to trust drives that keep the key on the drive somewhere.