Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Article: "Security Absurdity: The Complete, Unquestionable, And Total Failure of Information Security."

From: "Robinson, Sonja" <Sonja.Robinson () fticonsulting com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:49:13 -0400

I had this debate on a different forum last week. I found the article
annoying and misleading in many instances (typos aside).  It just
rehashed the same things and didn't provide solutions but just blamed me
for the ills of society (like I need more).  I try to beat my users
regularly but they don't care.  Hence the REAL problem.  I care, they
don't.  Even our own IT constituents don't really care about security.
They just want to program from home and can't understand why we don't up
open all servers to them at admin level.  People want security for
everyone BUT them because they're "special".

It would be nice to say NO to VPN (and shut down Marketing), say NO to
remote access (and shut me down when my system experiences problems),
say NO to unencrypted e-mail (and stop half of my users from working -
depending on your solution internally and externally) and say NO to
those who don't comply (i.e. I do find firing the CEO and other
executives to be hazardous to my health and job prospects).  Seriously,
you must temper security with functionality and take a risk based
approach.  Where you have humans, you can/will have security issues -
whether through bad programming, ignorance, or a just plain I don't care
attitude.  A little tongue in cheek mixed with the regular rant and sobs
of frustration but we go on and try again the next day.

**DISCLAIMER** These are my opinions and not those of my current, past
or future employers...

Sonja L. Robinson, CISSP, CIFI, CISA, CISM

Forensic Lab Manager

F T I

646.453.1283 direct

Sonja.Robinson () fticonsulting com