Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tons of Source port 80 to random Dest Port Traffic

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:15:30 -0700

  I see that all the time, mostly SYN-ACK packets (i.e., looks
like a response from a server to a machine on my network, except
where's the SYN from my net?).

Possibility 1:

  Remote servers are under SYN-flood attack using spoofed source
addresses.  Since your address was spoofed, you get the attacked
server's reesponse attempt(s).

Possibility 2:

  I have occasionally seen IE appear to get fooled by this, and
enter into a TCP session that it didn't really initiate.  This
might be an attack verctor against other IE bugs.

David Gillett