Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Article: "Security Absurdity: The Complete, Unquestionable, And Total Failure of Information Security."

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:09:45 +1000

Hello,
Security can never be correct 100% of the time. This is not true even in
high level military establishments. I am not stating that you should not
do the best you can given a set of circumstances, but security is based
on risk.

100% secure systems for one do not exist nor can they. This is a
computationally intractable issue.

Users are also an issue. They will not put up with the costs, both
fiduciary and to freedom that 100% security requires. Even enforcing MAC
(mandatory access control) in an organisation is difficult.

The old wire cutter firewall example fails to provide security as an
example. CIA - the triumberant foundation of information security
requires availability of information. Cutting the cable cuts the legs
out of security. Nothing is ever 100% secure. Welcome to life.

Regards,
Craig