Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Risk Assessment

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:06:14 -0700

  This is a significant part of the CISSP certification material.
The three basic variables are the Threat (how likely is this
attack -- annualized rate or occurrence), the Exposure (how
vulnerable to it are we -- percentage) and the Asset (how valuable
is the thing to be protected -- dollars).  A countermeasure whose
annual cost is less than the calculated Annualized Expectation of
Loss is considered a viable investment.
  Although Exposure can only range between 0 and 100%,  the annualized
rate of occurrence for some threats has no trouble exceeding 1.  And
far too many companies don't discover the value of information assets
or business-critical systems until a loss actually occurs....

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP CCSE