Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Article: "Security Absurdity: The Complete, Un

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:07:50 -0500

Why do you "parrot" the exact same thing that has been told --repeatedly -- over the past 15 years?  They have you
brainwashed!  How many principles do you think there really are (and not just the ones that ISC(2) *tells* you that
there should be)?  What do you think makes up the components of a good security model?  What defines the best
practices, and how should it be enabled?  Are 3 overly simplified principles the only key?  I disagree.

Security is not about "absolutes", but about "resolutes".  It is (most of the time) "hit or miss", sometimes hitting
dead nuts on target, other times, completely missing the target entirely.  There will *never* be "absolute security",
because of the random, human factors that are involved, no matter how much business and government attempt to
accurately predict human behavior.

To me, "confidentiality" is based on how well you can keep a secret.  This (again, to me), is dependent upon the
"integrity" of the data, as well as it's "availability".  If it's not available, you have nothing to control the
secret.  If the data has been tampered, you (again) have nothing to keep secret.  The levels of confidentiality are
dependent upon those 2 principles (using your ISC(2) security model).  Expanding on the security model, to me,
"intelligence" carries a fair share amount of weight, as does "information" itself.  The reason for mentioning
"information" is that if it's useless "information", why bother protecting it?  Henceforth, why the U.S. government has
both intelligence and information assurance offices.  The IA offices determine if the information is useful.  The
intelligence offices determine how it should be determined (I know that sounds circular, but hey, welcome to the
redundant world of redundant systems of a redundant world...confused yet?)  If businesses and government (alike) didn't
agree with that statement, then we wouldn't have those 2 kinds of organizations throughout the world; therefore, the
security model is inclusive to these 2 additional elements.

My quote for 2006: "The best security is no security that's needed."  Think about it... ;))

-rad