Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: Lightweight portable encryption

From: "Jed R. Mallen" <jedmallen () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:33:22 +0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jed R. Mallen <jedmallen () gmail com>
Date: May 11, 2006 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: Lightweight portable encryption
To: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng () wdc com>

On 5/10/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng () wdc com> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 21:37 -0400, l00t3r wrote:
> Truecrypt has been the only thing I've used for the past 6 months.
> I've been fairly impressed with the easy of use and the flexability of
> the program.  I think you've made a wise decision :P

The only problem right now with TrueCrypt is that it _may_ *seem* to be
cross platform (Windows and Linux) but actual functionality is targetted
at Windows Users.

One can still use it under Linux, but to create/alter/etc the TrueCrypt
partitions, one still needs to have access to a Windows Box.

The current version (4.2) can now do all that in linux. According to
http://www.truecrypt.org/user-guide/?s=version-history

4.2

April 17, 2006

     New features:

   * TrueCrypt volumes can now be created under Linux.
   * Volume passwords/keyfiles can be changed under Linux.
   * Keyfiles can be created under Linux.
   * Volume headers can be backed up and restored under Linux.
   * New Linux command line option: -u, --user-mount, which can be
used to set default user and group ID of the file system being mounted
to the user and group ID of the parent process. Some file systems
(such as FAT) do not support user permissions and, therefore, it is
necessary to supply a default user and group ID to the system when
mounting such file systems.
   * TrueCrypt volume properties can be viewed under Linux.

     Improvements:

   * Improved security of set-euid mode of execution (Linux).

--
Jed R. Mallen
GPG key ID: 81E575A3 fp: 4E1E CBA5 7E6A 2F8B 8756  660A E54C 39D6 81E5 75A3

Private material property is theft. "Intellectual property" is even
worse, possibly armed robbery. Censorship is rape.