Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Lightweight portable encryption

From: David Vo <david.trong.vo () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:37:07 -0500

Alexander Klimov wrote:
On Fri, 5 May 2006, Michael Russell wrote:
I'm looking for opinions on a light-weight, portable encryption
program.

I've started using TrueCrypt (www.truecrypt.org), and it seems to
work well.  I can run it from my flash drive, copy the encrypted
volumes between computers, etc.  However, I would appreciate
opinions from other people - opinions on TrueCrypt, or other
programs with similar features that they have had good/bad
experiences with.

TrueCrypt is a good choice.

An alternative is to use a good file-encryption program,
e.g., gnupg with symmetric key: gpg -c
or an archiver with real encryption support,
e.g., 7-zip (<http://www.7-zip.org/>).

Please disregard my question about the lost volume, I figured it out how to recover it.

Thanks,
David