Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Rights

From: "Jeffery Adam" <jadam () seark edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:28:01 -0500

Yes the user can install applications and use the application if the
installation does not require a reboot. When the system is rebooted the
application is completely gone, the same as if the system had been
re-imaged If it is necessary for an application to be installed
permanently someone from IT can temporary disable deepfreeze with a
password to install the application. As I understand the explanation of
how this product works Deepfreeze loads as a kernel module long before
there is a desktop. the actual installed operating system and
applications are never touched while the system is running frozen
instead deepfreeze creates a virtual copy of the file in free space and
alters that copy. After a reboot the virtual disk containing the changes
is disregarded restoring the computer to a state before the user ever
had access to the system.